IUBio

PAUP -- summer '94 issue? or not?

Mark Siddall mes at zoo.toronto.edu
Thu Aug 18 12:27:00 EST 1994

In article <schwarze-180894060836 at fennel.bio.caltech.edu> schwarze at starbase1.caltech.edu (Erich Schwarz) writes:
>   By about now a summer-1994 version of PAUP (by David Swofford) was
>supposed to be coming out from some unspecified vendor.

Yes, indeed, Swofford indicated to me that he expected both a summer
1994 release for DOS and UNIX systems.  On the other hand, vers. 3.1.1
for Macs has been available for a while now.

A related probelm is that every once in a while the Illinois Nat Hist
Survey seems to stop distributing PAUP (and apparently without much
in the way of advanced notice to Swofford).  This is apparently the
case at the moment so far as I understand it.

>first place.  Furthermore, it is completely incapable of generating random
>trees.  Since I am trying to statistically analyse the phylogenetic signal

Vers 3.1.1 does the random trees just fine.  If you are DOS and Hennig86
capable, you can acheive random-tree histograms with my software
Random Cladistics available at no cost by anonymous ftp to zoo.toronto.edu
in directory "pub" and file "random.exe" (transfer in binary of course!).
It does the random trees a bit differently than PAUP (i.e., by Markovian
growth instead of all-equiprobable).

Good luck,

Mark

Gloucester Point, VA, 23062