IUBio

eeg/emg software

Eli Meir meir at zoology.washington.edu
Mon Aug 15 19:12:13 EST 1994

I have a free program available to record and analyze emg recordings
called Spike Studio (it was formerly a commercial program, is used in a
couple dozen labs around the world and is pretty high quality and
slick).  Spike Studio is a mac program that will work with digitizers
from GW Instruments and National Instruments, as well as the sound
input on the mac (though I wouldn't reccomend that if you're serious).
You can get ahold of a copy from mac.archive.umich.edu (in
/mac/util/science) or from a sumex-aim mirror (in
systems/mac/info_mac/sci).  I may be willing to make minor or not so
minor modifications to suit your application.  Feel free to write with
questions.

If you need a more general purpose program for recording, there are
programs from both GW Instruments (SuperScope) and National Instruments
(LabView).  Of these, LabView is probably better, though SuperScope has
evolved into a decent program as well (from my limited experience with
both of them).  Both of these programs are quite expensive, and will
not analyze some types of emg data as well as mine will, but with
enough fiddling, you should be able to get them to do a wide variety of
different recording and analysis techniques.  They are both very good,
very flexible programs, and LabView has the advantage of graphical
programming where you just connect little symbols together to make
programs that do what you want.

Someone else will have to tell you about IBM programs and hardware,
since I don't know anything about those.

Eli Meir
Dept of Zoology, Univ of Washington
meir at zoology.washington.edu