IUBio

BLAST searching finally works with Win3.1 Mosaic!

Lawrence B. Afrin, M.D. afrinl at honc.mhs.musc.edu
Tue Aug 2 19:01:45 EST 1994

Howdy, netters,

Just thought y'all'd like to know...

Forgive me if I'm telling you something you already know, but I thought
this was fairly significant molecular biology software news from the
World Wide Web front: the latest NCSA Mosaic for Windows release (July
27th, version 2.0 alpha 6) now allows successful BLAST searching from the
Win3.1/WfW/WinNT platform!  Previously, with versions 2.0 alpha 2 through
alpha 5, you could get as far as displaying the form and entering your
search parameters, but when you clicked on Submit, you would never get a
response back -- no answers, no error messages, nothing.  But with alpha
6 -- hurrah! -- you get the appropriate BLAST response.  (Quiet, now, all
of you HyperBLASTing Mac'ers out there who are laughing your heads off at
how behind-the-times we IBM'ers are.)  From the little bit of testing
I've just finished with alpha 6 and BLAST, it looks like the BLAST folks
could maybe tweak the HTML output a bit to improve the formatting of the
response, but all in all, it's a 1,000% improvement over no response at
all!

Other improvements in alpha 6: plugging a memory leak which was causing
(at least for my installation) serious performance degradation when
retrieving *large* pages; a noticeable improvement in speed; elimination
of some of the more serious page-display bugs; and significant bug fixes
in page printing when using HP Laserjet drivers (the hardcopy is now
pretty much readable, rather than being a candidate for "Portrait of the
Month" at the Museum of Modern Art).

Just sent a complimentary message to mosaic-win at ncsa.uiuc.edu -- maybe
you other WinMosaic users should, too, if you feel like I do about alpha
6.

Have fun!

Larry Afrin, M.D.
afrinl at honc.mhs.musc.edu