IUBio

macaw

Mike Cherry cherry at frodo.mgh.harvard.edu
Thu May 28 21:02:00 EST 1992

In article <1992May28.205643.23796 at galileo.cc.rochester.edu>, ajp2o at crocus.medicine.rochester.edu writes...

>crocus:/usr/people/ajp2o/grants/RO1>>/usr/bsd/ftp ncbi.nlm.nih.gov
>Connected to ncbi.nlm.nih.gov.
>220 tech FTP server (SunOS 4.1) ready.
>Name (ncbi.nlm.nih.gov:ajp2o): anonymous

There is your problem. tech.nlm.nih.gov is not the same as
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov. Your SGI has the wrong IP address hard coded for ncbi or
your (or its source) has got problems. I've seen this problem on one of
the Sun clusters at UC Berkeley. The correct IP addresses are:

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov  130.14.20.1
tech.nlm.nih.gov  130.14.20.9

So you can use the following to connect with ncbi:    ftp 130.14.20.1

If you get the wrong IP address and your machine does not have an entry
for ncbi.nlm.nih.gov in its /etc/hosts file then you should notify your
network manager. There may be a rouge nameserver somewhere on the net.

Mike Cherry