IUBio

Medline on CD-ROM?

Rob Harper harper at convex.csc.FI
Wed Jun 10 15:14:04 EST 1992

In <12423 at gazette.bcm.tmc.edu> steffen at mbcr.bcm.tmc.edu (David Steffen) writes:

>IMHO, CDs are an excellent distribution medium; they are cheap, rugged,
>and high capacity.  However, they are slow.  Given the current costs
>of high capacity hard drives, I think it would be worth distributing
>Medline on CD, but copying it to an institution-wide hard disk for
>searching.

	I beleve that this is the system that is used for the biogopher
	in basel. The databases are kept on SLOW CD-ROM and the indexes
	are kept on fast disk. When you do a search on the indexes you
	get the answer FAST, and then when you extract a record from the
	database you go to the CD-ROM.

	In one of the bionet newsgroups I mentioned an article in
	Scientific American which discussed in depth the concept of
	CD-ROM vs networking. Lipman from NCBI was all for CDROM,
	and was not all that positive about networking solutions to
	biocomputing problems.

	Anyone interested in the CDROM/networking debate should read
	this article. (Might be one or two months old)

RGDS -=ROB=-
   Rob Harper                     /   E-mail:          harper at convex.csc.fi
   Finnish State Computer Centre  /   Molbio/software: harper at nic.funet.fi
   P.O. Box 40, SF-02101 Espoo    /   Telephone:       +358 0 457 2076
   Finland                        /   Fax:             +358 0 457 2302