IUBio

NCBI needs help

S. A. Modena samodena at csemail.cropsci.ncsu.edu
Thu Jul 9 00:29:13 EST 1992

In article <Jul.6.11.11.01.1992.22750 at genbank.bio.net> kristoff at genbank.bio.net (David Kristofferson) writes:
>> The proposed limitations on NCBI DO interfere
>> with the academic software developers. ............
>
>Brian,
>
>	I agree with many of the other points that you make in your
>thoughtful posting, but I do want to bring up another alternative in
>the above case.  Academic developers can always try to *license* their
>software to commercial companies. ..................
>
>Dave

"Technology Transfer Desk Reference: A Guide to Patenting and
Copyrighting at NCSU"

Office of Technology Administration  (c) 1989

"The Office of Technology Administration and the Intellectual Property
Committee are dedicated to transferring your technology and research to
the _public_ sector...."

"Upon entering the University all faculty, staff and students are
_required_ to sign an NCSU Patent Agreement which assigns NCSU any
inventions conceived or reduced to practice by them in their work
at the University......

"Licensing is the primary method by which patented inventions devloped
at the University are put into _public_ use.  In most cases, industry
expresses an interest in the technology and negotiations are then initiated.
Parts of a license agreement typically include the following: a) a grant
of rights clause that allows the licensee to make, use, and sell the
technology, b) an efforts clause, that requires the company to use its
best efforts to commercialize the technology, c) a royalty clause
establishing the amount of royalties paid to the University, d) a
report clause, setting standard times for reports on commercialization
progress, and e).............

"Administrative Elements of Technology Transfer at NCSU:
The OFFICE OF TECHNOLOGY ADMINISTRATION, a division............
The INTELLECTUAL PROPERTIES COMMITTEE is chaired by the Vice Chancellor of
Research......A group of professionals with licensing expertise, the
TRIANGLE UNIVERISTIES LICENSAUNG CONSORTIUM is a marketing.licensing
organization created by [NCSU, Duke, UNC-Chapel Hill].....

"2. Disclosing your software to the University.  If you have created
software that is jointly owned by yourself (plus an co-authors) and
the University, you should complete an NCSU Confidential Disclosure
Form and submit it to the Office of Technology Administration.
Software disclosures are kept _confidential_ and handled in the same
manner as invention disclosures....The software disclosure is
submitted to the Intellectual Property Committee for review and the
author notified of the committee's decision as to whether the
University will market the software or return it to the author(s), or,
in some cases, to the Department where it originated."

At NCSU the licensing agreement for software follows the elements outlined
for a patented invention.

Can anyone point me to a contact person that could mail me the equivalent
administrative protocol that NCBI operates under?

Steve
---