IUBio

Mac Image Analysis Software Query

Wayne Rasband wayne at helix.nih.gov
Tue Jul 14 08:31:31 EST 1992

In article <1992Jul7.043142.24128 at uniwa.uwa.edu.au>, Mike Schon-Hegrad <mike at chi.uwa.edu.au> writes:

> I would appreciate it a great deal if there is someone out there who is
> familiar with Image Analysis software for the Macintosh, who let me know
> of the packages that are available.

You might want to take a look at NIH Image, which is public domain.
It has painting and image manipulation tools, a macro language,
tools for measuring areas, distances and angles, and for counting
things. It supports TIFF, PICT and PICS file formats. Using a frame
grabber card, it can record sequences of images to be played back
as a movie. It can invoke user-defined convolution matrix filters.
It can import raw data in tab-delimited ASCII, or as 1 or 2-byte
quantities. It also does histograms and even 3-D plots. It is
limited to 8-bits/pixel, though the 8 bits map into a color lookup
table. The current version(1.44), including documentation and source
code, is available by anonymous ftp from zippy.nimh.nih.gov[128.231.98.32],
in the directory /pub/image.

--wayne