IUBio

Unix compiled "Primer"

Tom Schneider toms at fcs260c2.ncifcrf.gov
Tue Jul 21 10:47:15 EST 1992

In article <920720175441.17af at COMB1.COMB.UMD.EDU> WWARREN at COMB1.COMB.UMD.EDU writes:

>Is there anyone out there who has compiled The Lander Labs "Primer"
>program on a Unix platform and are willing to encode it and
>Email it to me ? Please only offers at this stage.

>Bill Warren
>Ctr. Ag. Biotech.
>Univ. of Maryland

I hope I'm not misunderstanding your message.  It seems to me from your
statement that you want someone to send you a binary version of the compiled
code.  This will not necessarily work.  There are many kinds of Unix
platforms.  I have compiled this program on a Sun 4 workstation.  But if you
have a Sun 3 workstation, you could not use my binary because you have a
different machine code.  Same goes if you are running Unix on a Vax or
something else.  The beauty of Unix is that you can transport source code from
one machine to the next and compile and use it in its new location.  Just
because it is Unix does not mean that binary code is transportable.  That is
only true if the underlying machine code is the same.  (So if you have a Sparc
work station, you could use my binary, although I'm not offering!)  I suggest
that you learn to compile the code on your machine directly.  Surely you have a
C compiler!  Sorry if I misunderstood your message.

  Tom Schneider
  National Cancer Institute
  Laboratory of Mathematical Biology
  Frederick, Maryland  21702-1201