IUBio

Molecular Graphics on PCs

CZJ at CU.NIH.GOV CZJ at CU.NIH.GOV
Tue Jul 21 14:53:41 EST 1992

>         Like many others, I'm amazed by the performance/price ratios of the
> i486-based PCs. Three years ago, I was a fan of the Macintosh and
> considered the PCs with some condescencion. Now I'm changing my mind. Even
> the monstruous MS-Windows is quite fast!
>
>         Well, we need here a graphics system to *visualize* protein
> structures. Not edit them and perform huge calculations. Just visualize in
> a comfortable environment. We thought of a SGI Indigo machine. But now...
>
>         Does anyone know a good molecular graphics package for the PC,
> running -for example- under MS-Windows or SCO Unix (X-Windows) ? Can be
> commercial if necessary.
>
>         Thank you.
>
> ---
> J-L. Risler                                     Bionet at frcgm51.bitnet
> Centre de Genetique Moleculaire                 Risler at frcgm51.bitnet
> 91190 Gif sur Yvette   France

You might try PCMODEL available as a shareware program.

there are some real possibilities, but software is needed
to convert the Brookhaven to PCMODEL format.  There is a hint
that this program is available on registration ($70.00).
  The main problem with
the Brookhaven format is that PCMODEL requries a connect table.
One would also like the possibility of showing only the alpha
carbon backbone.  This could also be done with the proper manipulation
of the Brookhaven format.  I have tried this on a 486 and
it flies.

there is another commercial program from hyperchem.  This has
been advertised in Science.  It looks very powerful--lets you
do molecular dynamics calculations, etc.  But the price is rather steep.

Jim Cassatt