IUBio

Molecular Graphics on PCs

Don Gilbert gilbertd at sunflower.bio.indiana.edu
Tue Jul 21 16:54:41 EST 1992

In article <9207211954.AA03325 at genbank.bio.net> CZJ at CU.NIH.GOV writes:

>You might try PCMODEL available as a shareware program.
>
>there are some real possibilities, but software is needed
>to convert the Brookhaven to PCMODEL format.  There is a hint
>that this program is available on registration ($70.00).
>  The main problem with
>the Brookhaven format is that PCMODEL requries a connect table.
>One would also like the possibility of showing only the alpha
>carbon backbone.  This could also be done with the proper manipulation
>of the Brookhaven format.  I have tried this on a 486 and
>it flies.

Kevin Gilbert at Indiana U (no relation to me) develops and distributes
PCMODEL (I assume it is the same PCMODEL).  He can be reached
via e-mail to Gilbert at UCS.Indiana.Edu.

I'm not overly familiar with this program.  However, Kevin does
have versions of it for MSDos-PC, Silicon Graphics, Sun, Mac,
and maybe other platforms (not VMS I think).  When I looked at
it once, Kevin was able to put PDB (Brookhaven?) format files
into it.  I don't know if this is a standard feature or something
extra.
Don Gilbert                                     gilbert at bio.indiana.edu