IUBio

Scientific Documentation: Captured Video Images

Peter M. Muriana muriana at aclcb.purdue.edu
Wed Jul 22 14:29:23 EST 1992

Hi Netters,

I would like to get some feedback from anyone who is knowledgeable of
generating screen-captured video images.

	What is the minimal requirements needed?  A screen capture card &
	a video monitor? could you use a VCR camera?

Our department has recently purchased a high end Polaroid slide maker which
transfer computer graphic images to 35mm slide film at up to 4,000 lines
resolution/inch.  It's very nice for generating graphs, graphics, text
slides for talks, symposia, lectures, etc.

What would be even nicer would be to capture graphic images of, say an
SDS-PAGE or DNA gel, bring it into something like Freelance, overlay text,
then generate a slide.  I know this can be done with a scanner, but the
video capability would allow you to capture 3-dimensional objects directly
without the need for making photos, cut & pasting them, add text, and
then re-photograph.

I know there are several companies (Fotodyne, Stratagene, etc) that have
gel documentation/computer densitiometry systems like this, but we don't
want the fancy software - just the basic point & capture capability to
generate a graphic file (TIFF?) to import into a graphics software
program for addition of text, etc.

I'm sure there are others who would be interested in information of such.

Thanks in advance,
*  Peter M. Muriana, Ph.D.		Phone	= (317)-494-8284    *
*  Dept. of Food Science		FAX	= (317)-494-7953    *
*  Purdue University		E-mail	= muriana at aclcb.purdue.edu  *
*  W. Lafayette, IN  47907                                          *