IUBio

whatswithblaze?

David Kristofferson kristoff at genbank.bio.net
Thu Jul 23 18:54:53 EST 1992

francis at monod.Biol.McGill.CA (Francis Ouellette) writes:

>news at netnews.upenn.edu (USENET News System) writes:

>>In article <BrspLs.9wB at news.cso.uiuc.edu>,
>>brett_lindenbach at qms1.life.uiuc.edu (brett lindenbach) wrote:
>>>
>>> The other day I received e-mail from genbank with a release announcement
>>> of BLAZE 1.0, a MP database similarity searcher. This message instructed
>>> me to write back for a help file. As of yet, I have not received any reply
>>> to my requests. Does anyone have this info?
>>>      Much obliged,
>>>              Brett Lindenbach

>>There was a posting on the bionet.molbio.genbank newsgroup about the queue
>>software for BLAZE being swamped by all the submissions.

>maybe this is what caused genbank.bio.net to crash ...  ;-)

Not really; for that you can thank our local utility district.  We had
a disk crash yesterday which resulted from a power outage, and it took
some time to get a new disk and restore all of the files.

The Solbourne computer, genbank.bio.net, does no calculations or
queuing for the blaze server; it simply passes mail on to another
machine which front-ends the Maspar machine.  Anything sent to
blaze at genbank.bio.net yesterday simply sat in your local mail queue
until the genbank machine came back up yesterday evening.  At that
point **everything** came flooding back in to genbank.bio.net, so all
of the queues here (not just blaze, but also FASTA, retrieve, blast,
news, regular e-mail) were overloaded again.  At this time (4:45 PM
Pacific time) there are still 62 FASTA DNA searches queued and 16
FASTA protein searches queued on genbank.bio.net among other things,
so your patience is appreciated while the system reequilibrates (or,
more accurately, returns to "steady" state).  It is possible that,
under the resulting rapid influx to the blaze queue again, some jobs
may have fallen into the bit bucket.  However, I'd appreciate it if we
had a "breather" until tomorrow, Friday, before everyone starts
resubmitting supposedly lost jobs again.

				Sincerely,

				Dave Kristofferson
				GenBank Manager

				kristoff at genbank.bio.net