IUBio

MacVector Thoughts/ Was Re: software for molecular biology

Mark Duffield duffiem at wl.com
Mon Aug 10 21:40:06 EST 1992

In article <doelz.713209821 at biox> doelz at comp.bioz.unibas.ch (Reinhard Doelz) writes:
>So what is the price for 10 seats? Still no way for a centralized mainframe
>solution? I'm afraid we're back again to the religious war how cheap must
>a workstation be to compete against a pc standalone solution :-( .
>And, don't forget the databases... they're growing. You now need to have
>a CD ROM at each station, better three: One EMBL, one PIR, and one NCBI
>drive.

Actually, if you use GeneWorks from Intelligenetics, you'll need a fourth.  In
their infinite wisdom, they have indexed GenBank in a proprietary manner
in order to speed up their searches and fetches.  So, if you have GCG,
MacVector and GeneWorks, you have to start putting two copies of everything
on the network;  one in ASCII and the other indexed.

This brings up another point (while I'm at it);  Why use CD-ROM to distribute
sequence data in the first place?  If you have a connection to the internet,
ALL of the data is available to anyone willing to put alittle work into
retrieving it.  Not to mention the fact that the data on the network is more
up to date than a disc that is obsolete the moment it is pressed.  Also,
with the various "geneservers" available now through gopher, it is even
reasonably easy to find the sequences you want.  So, I guess I fail to see what
all of the excitement is about.  For those concerned about performance, the
network is just as fast as the local CD-ROM drive (not to mention remote
CD-ROM drives).

If you are paying lots of money as an institution to connect to the internet,
why not use it and spend the money you would have spent on LOTS of CD-ROM
drives on something else?