IUBio

MacIntosh Video RFLP Digitizing Analysis

Don Gilbert gilbertd at sunflower.bio.indiana.edu
Wed Oct 23 08:59:05 EST 1991

In article <9110230157.AA26288 at ccvr1.cc.ncsu.edu> nmodena at unity.ncsu.edu writes:
>Re: RFLP Video-imaging Setup and Use
>Our purpose is to capture, store and transmit RFLP radiographs
>for analysis here and in other labs working, in particular, on

I have a request from researcher here for RFLP analysis equipment
and software also.  Please post any answers to newsgroup here.

The one ready-to-use system including software I've uncovered is
BioImage (now owned by Milligen, phone 800.872.0071). This includes
SparcStation, various scanner and video camera options and software for
1D, 2D, RFLP and other electrophoresis analyses. Package price I've heard
is around $40K, but you can undoubtedly by sparc, scanner, etc separately.
More info on this software is found in Sun's Catalyst catalog.

I don't want a sparcstation for this, would prefer mac.  The application is
for paternity analysis (in the population/quanitative/ecology genetics field).
I am aware of NIH Image (ftp ftp.bio.indiana.edu, cd science/mac) and
NCSA GelReader (ftp ftp.ncsa.uiuc.edu, cd mac/GelReader (?)), which will
both identify and digitize bands on scanned gel images.  However I still need
to dig up software to compare the band patterns within/amoung individuals.

-- don
Don Gilbert                                     gilbert at bio.indiana.edu