Major Gel Problems!

Dean Lavelle dean at ucdavis.edu
Wed Mar 22 20:18:37 EST 2000

Sonia Lottinville wrote:

> Hi,
> I have to  two ABI 377's and have been having a problem with consistent
> data. I recently switched to Amersco's 5.25% Gene-page and am also using
> their TBE packets for our 48cm XL runs. Recently, my gels appear to be
> splitting up the middle (blank in the middle with samples showing up on
> the edges)  and pushing the samples out of the reading range so I cannot
> track the gel accurately. The samples appear to be fine (the ones that
> show up). I've talked to Perkin-Elmers tech support and have perfomed an
> acid wash on the plates. I've also used the Seque-Strip from Sigma and
> am still having problems. I was wondering if anyone else has seen this
> sort problems on their gels before?
> Thanks in advance!
> Sonia
> ---

Hi Sonia,

I had this problem before, some four  years ago I believe.  I did two
things and the problem disappeared.  I washed the plates using a strong
base: 10 N NaOH with scrubbing via a kimwipe and I ordered CBS plastic
clamps (I think www.cbssci.com) to clamp the plates without using the gel
trays for gel pouring.  This has continued to work since then.  The way the
plates are stored could also affect the thickness of the gel as well  as
bad clamping during the gel setup...

Good luck,

Dean Lavelle
University of California, Davis
Plant Genetics Facility


More information about the Autoseq mailing list

Send comments to us at biosci-help [At] net.bio.net