IUBio

missing lanes from 377 gels

Mr. D.J. Cain dcain at hgmp.mrc.ac.uk
Tue Jan 19 15:47:43 EST 1999

Hi Alison,

I know its probably a silly idea but I have seen it happern in the past.
Some times combs are inserted too far to one side and thus the samples if
they migrate a little too much run off the gel.  I would suggest marking
the plates in the middle to align the comb in exactly the correct
position.  There is unfortunatly little or no room for error in the
scanning mechanism.

A few years ago I was working on a comb design that would eliminate this
problem but at the time PE declined the offer of first refusal on the
designs ( not that the offer is still open ).  If there is anyone out
there interested let me know they could be made up on a small university
work shop or by a company if necessary.  I can give confidential details
of the design to any user able to make they for thier own use.

Sincerely,

David Cain
administrator