IUBio

autoassembler Vs Sequencher

paul paul at ib3.gmu.edu
Tue Feb 16 09:25:00 EST 1999

I am very familiar with sequencher and find it to be a terrific program.
Miles and miles ahead of most of the competition within the Macintosh
environment.  However... If you have access to a unix environment, I
Strongly suggest the Staden package (mainly Gap4 and pregap).  Not only
does it contain it's own assembly algorithm, but it can be integrated
with Fak, Phrap, and Cap assemblers as well as the Phred basecaller.
This assembler is by far the Caddilac of all packages I've seen.  The url
for more information is
http://www.mrc-lmb.cam.ac.uk/pubseq/
Paul Rasmussen
Institute for Biosciences, Bioinformatics and Biotechnology
George Mason University
paul at ib3.gmu.edu