IUBio

Phred vs ABI caller and Formamide

Robert Chadwick chadwick-1 at medctr.osu.edu
Tue Dec 7 08:48:07 EST 1999

We also get good results with phred on the 3700 and have noticed little difference in the base callers (besides the 3700 analysis software being a bit buggy and unstable).  When we first got our 3700 in May/June of 1999, we noticed progressive degradation in the second, third, and fourth runs when resuspending in formamide.  I was told by one of the R&D scientists at PE that this is dependent on the formamide purity and on the temperature.  A combination of formamide and higher temperatures cause the degradation of the ladders.  This is more of a problem with the G's.   When the 3700 was first sent out last winter and spring the degradation wasn't an issue.   It became an issue in the summer.

Best Regards,

Bob Chadwick

Robert B. Chadwick
Director, Genotyping/Sequencing Unit