IUBio

96 lane membrane combs

Stephen R. Lasky srlasky at cellworks.mbt.washington.edu
Thu Dec 2 12:48:57 EST 1999

Barbara Simionati wrote:

> To Stephen:
> >You mean you haven't thrown out all your 377's and switched
> >over to capillaries? Just kidding, but how is your capillary working?.
> Did you throw all your 377s out?
> We, expecially who do gels and wash plates, would like to, but I am
> afraid that my boss wouldn't be very happy about this.
> The 3700 works very well now, it had no more problems since we connected
> it to the UPS group, and we have done 10.000 sequences last month.
> We are going to try 384 well plates, even if we do not have the foil
> piercing yet.
> It should be available soon in Italy (I hope).

We actually took our piercing unit off the 3700 it was installed on.
That machine kept breaking down with mechanical stress type failures
that the fangs may have been associated with.  We are waiting, like the
rest of the world, for the new improved version to come out so we can
try that.

One of our facilites (part of the Hood Lab but at a different location),
has divested themselves of all their grant purchased 377's and moved the
money to capillaries. Unfortunately we haven't been able to do that.  We
even run some 373's, one with a serial number that puts it in the first
few hundred made (way back when).  We would like to switch and are in
the process of evaluating another capillary instrument.

On that note, what experiences have people had with the megaBACE?  Could
people share their through-put, uptime, repair and service records (or
impressions), and experience with capillary life with the newsgroup?  If
you don't feel comfortable doing this on the newsgroup, you could send
me email.  I would be happy to share these stats on our experience with
the 3700's if people are interested.

thanks

srlasky

--