IUBio

MUTATION RESEARCH CENTRE

David David
Thu May 15 08:16:35 EST 1997

Dear Newsgroupers ,

This was recently sent to me for forwarding to the group , please reply
to the original author at :

cotton at ariel.its.unimelb.edu.au

David Cain

MUTATION RESEARCH CENTRE
HUGO HUMAN MUTATION DATABASE INITIATIVE CO-ORDINATOR

The number of mutations in genes causing cancer or inherited disease could
be as high as 10 million and are accumulating rapidly.  An initiative
started in 1994 to co-ordinate the process of capture of all mutations and
their delivery in an up-to-date form via the WWW.  The history of
information regarding this initiative can be seen on the Mutation Database
Association Web site:-

http://ariel.ucs.unimelb.edu.au:80/~cotton/mut_database.htm

This project has been supported by The Human Genome Organisation (HUGO)
and
now is a part of HUGO and also by the March of Dimes (USA).  Our Centre is
co-ordinating co-operation and progress in this initiative, which is being
worked on by several Central Database groups e.g. see HGMDB:-

http://www.cf.ac.uk/uwcm/mg/hgmd0.html

and dozens of Locus Specific Database curators e.g. see PAHDB:-

http://www.mcgill.ca/pahdb/

Our last meeting of the initiative attracted over 100 registrants in San
Francisco and another meeting is planned in Baltimore on the 27th-28th
October, 1997.

We now wish to employ in Melbourne at the Mutation Research Centre, a
Postdoctoral Scientist to assist in this process.  Familiarity with human
genetics and preferably inherited disease, or cancer mutations is
essential.
Familiarity with Web sites and Databases and computers is highly
desirable.
The tasks will be divided between co-ordinating the entry of lists of
mutations to Web sites, the capture of mutations and analysis of mutations
in the Databases and relevant research projects.

The tasks will be divided between co-ordinating the entry of lists of
mutations to Web sites, the capture of mutations and analysis of mutations
in the Databases and relevant research projects.

More details can be obtained from Professor Richard Cotton, Mutation
Research Centre, St. Vincent's Hospital, Melbourne (Telephone: (03) 9288
2980 and Fax (03) 9288 2989) (Email:- cotton at ariel.ucs.unimelb.edu.au).
Details of our centre can be seen on our Web site:-

http://ariel.ucs.unimelb.edu.au:80/~cotton/mrc_homepage.htm

Applications to Professor Cotton by 19/05/1997.		saved as
postdoc/30/04/1997
Yours sincerely,

R.G.H. COTTON D.Sc.

HEAD - MUTATION RESEARCH CENTRE
7TH FLOOR, DALY WING
ST. VINCENT'S HOSPITAL
41 VICTORIA PARADE
FITZROY 3065, MELBOURNE, VICTORIA, AUSTRALIA

TELEPHONE: 	   + 61-3-9288 2980
FAX: (1)   	   + 61-3-9288 2989
     (2)   	   + 61-3-9288 2988

ANSWERING MACHINE: + 61-3-9288-2984