IUBio

Fade Gels

James James
Mon May 5 08:37:20 EST 1997

To ABI 377 Users:
We are experiencing a gel failure in our department which we call a
"fade gel".  In this failure type the signal appears to fade away as
you look across the gel from side to side.  I believe that the error
is because of improper placement of the cassette in the ABI or in
adequate tightening of the gel cassette.  We try to make sure that the
cassettes are placed properly in the ABI's and we have implemented a
schedule for weekly maintenance for the cassettes, this has helped
decrease the number of failures we see but has not eliminated it.
Does anybody have any suggestions....

jim brayer
GT'ing production coordinator
Millennium Pharmaceuticals Inc.