Silly glass plate question

Luc Simon lsimon at rsvs.ulaval.ca
Tue Mar 19 10:29:32 EST 1996

>Has anybody tried using ordinary glass plates on their ABI373 sequencers.
>Since the laser and flourescent wavelengths are visible light, I was
>wondering if I could go to the local glazier and have ordinary glass plates
>cut to the proper size.  Or is there some special optical quality glass that
>would be suitable but still not cost the arm and a leg that ABI charges.

I did order proper sized plates (48 cm WTR) from Owl scientific for $57.00
a pair!! The fluorescence background is higher and the greenish tint of the
glass has an effect on the relative position of the traces, as seen during
the plate check. We have tried it anyway and the results are acceptable,
yielding essentially identical sequence calls when the same reaction was
run on ABI plates or "plain plates" the next day. The traces seemed a
little noisier and we prefer to use the ABI plates to really get the best
possible results to our clients. But its definitely workable.

I guess someone could try to get clear "PYREX" type glass plates  that
would be somewhat more expensive that the plain glass we got, but still a
far cry from the ABI price. Anybody has tips on this?

Luc Simon

Coordonnateur des services scientifiques
1125 Charles-Eugene Marchand                         tel.  (418) 656-5496
Universite Laval                                              fax.  (418)
656-7176
Sainte-Foy, Que G1K 7P4