jagged baselines on ABI373 platecheck

Scottie Adams mbcf at NorthNet.org
Sun Mar 17 05:59:10 EST 1996

Hi Agnes. Its hard to know how bad the baselines are without actually
seeing them, but we don't worry about about a few little peaks as long as
they don't touch the line above them - and they usually disappear after the
gel is poured and/or after the prerun. You don't say whether you have tried
to run any samples. Maybe this initial plate scan problem will not affect
your run. Of course, it may be a hardware problem, too. I seem to remember
you having questions about Genescan in the past, so I must say that I'm
describing our experience with DNA sequencing, not Genescan. But at least
you know there's some people out here willing to try and help.  Scottie
Adams
 >Dear 373 users
>Our latest problem with a 2-year-old ABI373 started when we first got a
>blank scan  on plate check one day. After fiddling the PE engineer restored
>lines but they are very jagged and wavy ie the lines are wavy, but not
>smooth-wavy, jagged wavy. First he said it was the filter wheels then he
>said it wasn't. He  still hasn't reached a diagnosis but has arbitrarily
>ordered some spare parts for which we are waiting. He's so uncertain,
>however, that we have no clue if the spare parts, if and when they arrive,
>will do us any good. We suggested he fax PE USA for help with diagnostics
>but there has been no reply as far as I am aware. meanwhile we have a
>growing backlog. Has anyone had a similar problem with their 373? Any
>advice greatly appreciated.
>
>Thanks
>Agnes

Scottie Adams aka Pamela Scott Adams