Tinnitus masking theory expanded

Peter Lowrie peterlowrie at consultant.com
Mon Dec 8 04:38:44 EST 2003

Good afternoon netizens.

The purpose of this post is to inform you that <quote (audiologist)>...if
you could do that, you'd be a millionaire...</quote> when I told her about
my inventive exploit...Information to follow.

I am a patient of the Auckland Hospital Audiology clinic. Two years ago I
encountered a life  changing event - I got hearing aids to help with a
c.70% hearing loss brought about by noisy industrial environments (and
probably too much loud rock music). Also I'm an inquisitive electronics
techie.

The tinnitus was driving me nuts, so I got a circuit diagram for a tinnitus
masker and constructed the unit from off-the-shelf components. The unit
worked but not very well. When I took it off my perception of the tinnitus
was that it was worse.

One day I hooked my sweep function generator to the sound card of my PC and
oscilloscope. With headphones on I tuned the SFG into the tinnitus noise
and recorded each tone on the PC. There were about 7 different regions of
tinnitus. Then I combined the tones using soudcard recording software and
looped them on playback, though the oscilloscpoe. My Philips 'scope has a
phase adjustment and an inverter. I adjusted the phase until the sound was
as loud as possible and then I hit the 'invert' button on the
'scope...Guess what happened.

Complete silence!

Has anyone in audiology disciplines tried this?

Yours etc
Peter Lowrie