Arsenal herbicide on Loblolly Pines

Daniel B. Wheeler dwheeler at ipns.com
Tue May 28 11:34:56 EST 2002

bdmckee at hotmail.com (Brad) wrote in message news:<6057a54a.0205271739.3d68ccdb at posting.google.com>...
> I have a small area planted to Loblolly Pines, (planted in Feb of this
> year), and I did not get good weed control prior to the planting as I
> should have. Anyway, a week ago I strip sprayed over the trees with
> Arsenal herbicide to control grasses such as fescue and other
> broadleaves labeled for control. After a week I can tell of no effect
> by the herbicide. The label states growth is stopped very quickly but
> visible effects of the herbicide may take several weeks.
>
> Have any of you used this herbicide to give me an idea of what to
> expect and how soon?? Also, for future plantings, what do any of you
> suggest site prep that will give good residual control of vegetation
> within tree plantings??

If you want your planting to remain solid Loblolly pine, this post
won't help you much.

If, OTOH, you might consider multiple plantings, put pecan trees into
the site as well. Pecan are associated in many areas with Tuber
lyonii, which forms terre brule, or burnt earth areas. These are
caused by the Tuber, which rob surface plant life of water and
nutrients. Think of it as a naturally-occuring herbicide from below
ground.<G>

A little off-topic, how valuable is pecan for lumber?

Daniel B. Wheeler
www.oregonwhitetruffles.com