Paulownia in the UK ?

Andy Dingley dingbat at codesmiths.com
Fri May 24 17:38:12 EST 2002

I'm considering two things:

1)  Buying a small (<10 acre) woodland (SW England / S Wales)

2)  Planting paulownia, with a view to timber production.

I'm a woodworker. I know a little about timber (the square stuff that
grows on the back of trucks), but next to nothing about trees or
forestry. I'm interested in buying paulownia timber, but finding it
near impossible in the UK.  Admittedly this is a rather drastic
solution....   8-)

Any advice ?   _Anything_, in the most general sense, would be news to
me, so please fire away.

I don't expect this to make me rich. I don't care. I don't believe
"wonder tree" stories on principle, so I've not just been suckered
into some Make Trees Fast scam.  I'd like to avoid having the whole
plantation die off in the first winter though....

General advice, pointers to newsgroups, books, courses, etc. on small
woodlands in the UK are all welcome.

Thanks