ACeDB 4.8: availability???

zgudmunt at my-deja.com zgudmunt at my-deja.com
Mon Mar 27 21:08:22 EST 2000

  Where can I obtain the most recent version of 4.8? I was looking for this
monthly build the other day on the FTP-site but did not see anything changed
from a version I tested several months ago. That was actually a precompiled
4.8 beta, straight  from one of the developers. Is there a better source for
me out there than the official site?

  I am primarily interested in the new client/server socket setup. I am
having trouble managing multiple local databases along with a couple of
servers. I think that a better solution would be a total client/server
system. But would I be able to set up Windows-clients that access
Unix-server(s)?

                 Thanks

                             Mummi

> Now...for ace 4_8 we have rewritten the server to directly use sockets
> instead of RPC (for portability and interfacing reasons). We have also
> taken the opportunity to add a password mechanism for users, so this
> will answer your question. Now you will have a "true" client/server
> setup with control files for restrict access to just the people you
> want. There are new admin commands to manage these control files.
>
> When this all be available ? Well its available now for Beta-testing.
> The caveat is that a number of other parts of acedb have been changed
> and we are still testing locally to iron out bugs. I can build you a
> binary (we are about to do a monthly build) and you can try it out if
> you like. I am also just doing the documentation because we have added
> some new commands to manage the user stuff and a number of other
> additions to the server.
>
> I hope this answers your questions, please feel free to email me direct
> or append here if you need more information.
>
> cheers Ed

> | Ed Griffiths, Informatics
> Group, |
> | The Sanger Centre, Wellcome Trust Genome
> Campus, |
> | Hinxton, Cambridge CB10 1SA,
> UK |
> |

> | email: edgrif at sanger.ac.uk URL:
> http://www.sanger.ac.uk/Users/edgrif |
> | Tel: +44-1223-494780 (switch +44 1223 834244) Fax: +44 1223
> 494919 |

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.