gels

Sam Cartinhour scartinh at VECTOR.NALUSDA.GOV
Mon Apr 11 08:52:02 EST 1994

Hi,

not to muddy the gel issue, but I wonder if the whole solution for
gels and fragments could also be part of the solution for restriction
maps and fragments. That is, can we come up with a representation for
bands that would be versatile enough for both of these needs?

I bring this up because Richard notes in his proposal:

> It does forbid two distinct bands of exactly the same size

If the gel/fragment model also supported restriction maps, it would
need a list structure (REPEAT) to provide for same-sized fragments.

I am not suggesting that the gel display and restriction map display
be the same, only that their underlying models might share enough
features that we could join them and have a single, unified
representation for fragments.

sam