[Yeast] Green-ish yeast culture??

Fan, Yao via yeast%40net.bio.net (by Yao.Fan from ucsf.edu)
Thu Nov 7 17:07:09 EST 2013

Hi all,

I've been growing Saccharomyces cerevisiae (strain BJ2168) in shake flask for protein expression.  After 72 hours' culture time I harvested the cells, but found a layer of suspicious-looking greenish goo on the edge of the pellet.  After I resuspended the pellet in lysis buffer, I noticed that the the suspension also showed a trace of greenish color.  I don't know if it is normal or is due to some bacterial contamination--I did have pen-strep added into the culture, so I'm really frustrated about the unknown green stuff.  Anyone have had similar experience?  Thanks!

Yao