[Yeast] determining growth rate

Thomas Davis via yeast%40net.bio.net (by tsdavis1 from gmail.com)
Wed May 20 20:15:40 EST 2009

Hi everyone,

 I am an entomologist trying to study the microbial community associated
with an herbivorous beetle species. As such, our lab is rather limited in
terms of microbiological sophistication. We have tentatively isolated a
wealth of yeast colonies from the glandular mycangia of these insects, and
would like to conduct some performance-type experiments using our yeast
isolates and chemical treatments. Our isolations are currently being done on
2% MEA, and appear to mostly be in the genera Pichia, Saccharomyces, and
Candida.

 My question to the group is this:

 What is a reliable, quick, and easily interpreted method for assessing
growth rates of yeast colonies? We are familiar with the technique of colony
forming unit count via serial dilutions, however, this seems to be
a laborious means of assessing growth rate over time with many strains and
(potentially) multiple chemical treatments. Or is it simply best to try to
obtain a single 'snapshot' of growth rate?

 Any advice that could be offered would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Seth Davis