[Yeast] Raffinose versus Sucrose

Kerry Geiler via yeast%40net.bio.net (by kgeiler from gmail.com)
Fri May 23 17:50:55 EST 2008

HI,
I have a question about whether yeast grow better in sucrose and raffinose
or a combination of both.  I am using galactose induction, so I cannot grow
my strains in glucose.  I have inquired with many nearby labs and some use
2% sucrose, some use 2% raffinose, and some use 2% sucrose, 1% raffinose.
 However, none of these labs can tell me why they made this decision (it
seems to be a part of their lab culture).  Does anyone know the differences
between yeast growth in sucrose vs raffinose?  Do either of these sugars
inhibit metabolism of the other sugar?  Any information that will inform my
decision of which sugar to choose would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks!

Kerry Geiler
kgeiler from gmail.com