[Pombelist] [Yeast] S.pombe pREP series plasmids question...

Valerie Wood via yeast%40net.bio.net (by val from sanger.ac.uk)
Fri Jun 20 03:27:49 EST 2008

Correction
Samuel just pointed prl10 is transcribed in YE, you can see this if you select YE to see the illumina data.

Val

Valerie Wood wrote:

> Hello Jonathan,
>
> I have prl10 mapped to the opposite strand to nmt1.
>
> However, if you look at the high resolution transcript map, it does
> not appear to be detectable.
> http://www.sanger.ac.uk/cgi-bin/PostGenomics/S_pombe/pombetv/pombetv?genename=SPCC1223.02&action=genedb
>

> Nothing is published about prl10.
> Somebody else may be able to comment further.
>
> Val
>

> Jonathan Jacobs wrote:
>> Hello! this is my first post to this listserv, so please pardon me if
>> I am a bit overly verbose...
>>
>> I was updating my sequence files & vector maps recently for various
>> plasmids and I noticed something that might be of  interest to anyone
>> using the 'pREP' series vectors in S.pombe.
>>
>> Watanabe T et.al. (2002)
>> <http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12597277> published a report that
>> indicated there were a number of poly(A) bearing RNAs without long
>> open reading frames expressed in S.pombe (so called 'prl' genes). One
>> of them, prl10 (Genbank AB084822
>> <http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/viewer.fcgi?db=nuccore&id=26006032>),
>> is a 692-bp transcript that could produce a small 40 a.a. protein.
>> What was interesting to me was that prl10 sits immediately upstream
>> of nmt1. Since the nmt1 promoter region is used in the  pREP series
>> plasmids, thus so is the entire prl10 gene. Whether or not the prl10
>> transcript is expressed from pREP vectors is not known (to me).
>>
>> So I was curious: has anyone else noticed this before? And is it
>> known whether or not pREP series plasmids express the prl10
>> transcript? And finally, is it known if there is a phenotype
>> associated with a prl10 deletion strain? Does anyone have a hint as
>> to what the function of this RNA may be?
>>
>> Jonathan Jacobs, Ph.D.
>> NICHD / NIH
>> lab: (301) 402-1155
>> cell: (240) 447-4039
>>
>> http://www.linkedin.com/in/jonathanjacobs
>> http://www.citeulike.org/user/jonathanjacobs

Valerie Wood			 Tel: 01223 496909
S. pombe Genome Project		 Fax: 01223 494919
Wellcome Trust Sanger Institute	 email: val from sanger.ac.uk
Wellcome Trust Genome Campus	 http://www.genedb.org/genedb/pombe
Hinxton, Cambridge, CB10 1HH	 http://www.sanger.ac.uk/Projects/S_pombe