[Yeast] S.pombe pREP series plasmids question...

Valerie Wood via yeast%40net.bio.net (by val from sanger.ac.uk)
Fri Jun 20 03:12:23 EST 2008

Hello Jonathan,

I have prl10 mapped to the opposite strand to nmt1.

However, if you look at the high resolution transcript map, it does not
appear to be detectable.
http://www.sanger.ac.uk/cgi-bin/PostGenomics/S_pombe/pombetv/pombetv?genename=SPCC1223.02&action=genedb

Nothing is published about prl10.
Somebody else may be able to comment further.

Val

Jonathan Jacobs wrote:
> Hello! this is my first post to this listserv, so please pardon me if
> I am a bit overly verbose...
>
> I was updating my sequence files & vector maps recently for various
> plasmids and I noticed something that might be of  interest to anyone
> using the 'pREP' series vectors in S.pombe.
>
> Watanabe T et.al. (2002) <http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12597277>
> published a report that indicated there were a number of poly(A)
> bearing RNAs without long open reading frames expressed in S.pombe (so
> called 'prl' genes). One of them, prl10 (Genbank AB084822
> <http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/viewer.fcgi?db=nuccore&id=26006032>),
> is a 692-bp transcript that could produce a small 40 a.a. protein.
> What was interesting to me was that prl10 sits immediately upstream of
> nmt1. Since the nmt1 promoter region is used in the  pREP series
> plasmids, thus so is the entire prl10 gene. Whether or not the prl10
> transcript is expressed from pREP vectors is not known (to me).
>
> So I was curious: has anyone else noticed this before? And is it known
> whether or not pREP series plasmids express the prl10 transcript? And
> finally, is it known if there is a phenotype associated with a prl10
> deletion strain? Does anyone have a hint as to what the function of
> this RNA may be?
>
> Jonathan Jacobs, Ph.D.
> NICHD / NIH
> lab: (301) 402-1155
> cell: (240) 447-4039
>
> http://www.linkedin.com/in/jonathanjacobs
> http://www.citeulike.org/user/jonathanjacobs

Valerie Wood			 Tel: 01223 496909
S. pombe Genome Project		 Fax: 01223 494919
Wellcome Trust Sanger Institute	 email: val from sanger.ac.uk
Wellcome Trust Genome Campus	 http://www.genedb.org/genedb/pombe
Hinxton, Cambridge, CB10 1HH	 http://www.sanger.ac.uk/Projects/S_pombe