[Yeast] S.pombe pREP series plasmids question...

Jonathan Jacobs via yeast%40net.bio.net (by jonathan.jacobs from gmail.com)
Thu Jun 19 12:50:05 EST 2008

Hello! this is my first post to this listserv, so please pardon me if I am a
bit overly verbose...

I was updating my sequence files & vector maps recently for various plasmids
and I noticed something that might be of  interest to anyone using the
'pREP' series vectors in S.pombe.

Watanabe T et.al. (2002)
<http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12597277>published a report that
indicated there were a number of poly(A) bearing
RNAs without long open reading frames expressed in S.pombe (so called 'prl'
genes). One of them, prl10 (Genbank
AB084822<http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/viewer.fcgi?db=nuccore&id=26006032>),
is a 692-bp transcript that could produce a small 40 a.a. protein. What was
interesting to me was that prl10 sits immediately upstream of nmt1. Since
the nmt1 promoter region is used in the  pREP series plasmids, thus so is
the entire prl10 gene. Whether or not the prl10 transcript is expressed from
pREP vectors is not known (to me).

So I was curious: has anyone else noticed this before? And is it known
whether or not pREP series plasmids express the prl10 transcript? And
finally, is it known if there is a phenotype associated with a prl10
deletion strain? Does anyone have a hint as to what the function of this RNA
may be?

Jonathan Jacobs, Ph.D.
NICHD / NIH
lab: (301) 402-1155