[Yeast] ade2-1 strain color

Ren MIAO via yeast%40net.bio.net (by supermr2000 from hotmail.com)
Wed Sep 12 18:12:31 EST 2007

hi, I just received a W303 based strain from one of our collaborator. When I
received it, it was streaked on a plate labeled with YPGal (there is a
essential gene under Gal promoter) and was white or a little bit yellow.
I made stocks out of it and streaked some YPGal plates from the stocks. The
colonies I got were mostly pink or red, few of them were white/yellow.
To my knowledge, ade2-1 mutant should appear pink/red due to red pigment
formation. But I am just wondering how the cells on the collaborator plate
(also YPGal plate) appear white.
Can I add some adenine to the media to repress the in vivo biosynthesis of
adenine in yeast?

Thanks in advance!!

Ray