yeast mRNA isolation

anna ballew aballew at stanford.edu
Wed Dec 1 18:18:38 EST 2004

Hi - I am trying to set up a laboratory exercise for a course I am teaching
to sophomores.  We want to transcription microarrays and last year we use
typical methods for RNA isolation including bead beating and hot phenol.  I
recently saw that a company Epicentre makes a kit (MasterPure RNA isolation
kit) that supposedly doesn't use either beads or phenol.  I'm assuming that
there is some type of enzymatic method that breaks open the yeast, but I
can't tell from their protocol.  And I think you spin the lysate over some
column that binds to the RNA.  I'm wondering if anyone has ever used this
kit or one like it.  It's attractive in that if it works, I could avoid
having 20 sophomores wrestling tubes of hot phenol.  But it would be a total
waste of my time and money if the RNA you get from using this kit is crappy.
Any suggestions would be welcomed.

Anna Ballew
Stanford University

YEAST e-mail: messages sent to yeast at net.bio.net