velveteen used for yeast replica plating

Steve Nothwehr nothwehrs at missouri.edu
Sat Jan 25 02:33:49 EST 2003

Hello all,

I have been frustrated by the performance of velveteen for yeast
replica plating that I have been able to find from commercial sources.
 I know that velveteen exists that works very well for this purpose
because the department where I did my post-doc had excellent velveteen
that could faithfully make replicas of plates with over 1000 colonies.
 I have to admit I grabbed a few samples when I left and started my
own lab.  Since then, I have purchased velveteen from several sources
(Replicatech, Cora Styles etc.) and, although it works to some degree,
none of the velveteen from these sources has been nearly as good as
the old, ragged velveteen from my post-doc lab.  In addition, I have
tried various types of fabrics from fabric stores without much
success.  I found a message in a newsgroup from someone who said that
the velveteen must be 100% cotton and if you dribble some water on it
the water should soak in very rapidly.  I suspect this is true because
the water tends to bead up on the commercial velveteen that I have
purchased.   I wonder if the fabric has been treated in some way to
make it water repellent which I supposed is good if you are wearing
the fabric but bad if you are using for replica plating.  Does anyone
have any suggestions for a source of good velveteen?  Many thanks.

Steve