Missing Attribute Values in the yeast S. cerevisiae gene expression vectors

David Tian yuanxi80 at hotmail.com
Wed Feb 26 21:29:41 EST 2003

Hello,

I am doing classifications of genes using the yeast S. cerevisiae gene
expression vectors available at

http://www.soe.ucsc.edu/research/compbio/genex/genex.html

The data is in the form of a matrix; first row is a list of attributes
which are hybridization experiments(79); first column is the names for
the 2467 genes.
So each row forms a gene with 79 attributes. The matrix is therefore
2467x79.

The problem is that for all genes some of attribute values towards the
end of the attribute list are missing. I am not familiar with the
hybridization experiments at all.

The paper about this machine learning problem does not say anything
about dealing with missing values. Shall I ignore them or fill in some
guess values?

Many thanks,

David

YEAST e-mail: messages sent to yeast at net.bio.net