5-FOA

M.B. xyz at xyz.ca
Thu Apr 24 09:12:42 EST 2003

In addition to the ideas here, you might want to try playing with the
optimal FOA concentration.  While I have found that 0.2% works most of the
time, sometimes it does result in background growth, depending on what you
have in the strain,  and the incubation conditions used.

I've also added 5-FOA powder directly to my autoclaved media, giving the
desired concentration (w/v) once it had cooled to approx 50-55 degrees, and
allowing it to stir in for about 10 minutes.    I have found no
contamination problems doing this (I'm quite possibly just extremely lucky),
and is an easy alternative to making two solutions.

Good luck,

Melissa

news:b83m6h$avk$1 at mercury.hgmp.mrc.ac.uk...

YEAST e-mail: messages sent to yeast at net.bio.net