5-fluorocytidine and cdd1 phenotypes

Michael McMurray mmcmurra at u.washington.edu
Thu May 24 20:56:42 EST 2001

I've read that cdd1 mutants (S. cerevisiae) are resistant to
5-fluorocytidine (Curr Genet 1999 Sep;36(3):130-6).  In none of the papers I
can find, however, is there listed a commercial source of the chemical.
Some searches revealed that fluoro-derivatives of cytidine were commonly
experimented with as anti-cancer drugs, so I think there must be a company
somewhere that makes it.

Has anyone had any experience with the drug, especially as regards the
resistance of cdd1 mutants?

Alternatively, the literature says that "cytidine supplementation rescues
the uracil auxotrophy of a cdd1 null ura2 double mutant indicating cytidine
can serve as a source of pyrimidine".  URA3 seems to be in the right part of
the pathway so that ura3 cdd1 mutants would have the same phenotype as ura2
cdd1.  Can anyone tell me if I'm right or wrong in my thinking?

Thanks in advance,
Michael

---

YEAST e-mail: messages sent to yeast at net.bio.net