Pierce Y-PER Reagent

John Jackson jjackson at piercenet.com
Thu Mar 4 14:55:05 EST 1999

At the risk of sounding like a commercial, I can give some comments on the Yeast Protein Extraction Reagent from Pierce.  Unfortunately, I can't give out the composition, or any hints as to what is in the reagent (during development we tested over 200 different combinations of chemicals).  In a previous post, all the non-proprietary information was listed and is mostly correct.  The reagent is phosphate buffer based and contains detergent and salt.  The reagent was developed using S.cerevisiae, but work done in-house and by outside sources show the reagent to be useful in extracting protein from:  S.pombe, C.albicans, P.patoris (see Invitrogen user forum), and B.subtilis.  (So far, S.pombe has proven the most difficult to extract proteins from and good extraction from S.pombe is dependent on growth media used.)  We have also used the reagent to purify both GST and 6x His-tagged proteins from both S.cerevisiae and S.pombe (Stratagene strain and plasmids) and used it for immunop!
recipitation experiments and b-galactosidase assays.  If anyone has any questions or comments, some literature can be found on our web site (www.piercenet.com), as well as the instruction book for the reagent, or feel free to email me directly.

--John

John C. Jackson, Ph.D.
Pierce Chemical
3747 N. Meridian Rd.