"acid"-glass beads

news at nntp.stanford.edu news at nntp.stanford.edu
Mon Jun 14 16:27:26 EST 1999

Glass beads are washed in acid to dissolve or hydrolyze any contaminants.
We used to use the following protocol, but now we just buy washed beads
from Sigma.

- Put beads in glass beaker.
- Add 2 M HNO3 to cover the beads.
- Soak for 1 hour or more.
- Rinse well with water until the rinse water is no longer acidic.
  This can be tricky since the beads are small, will float on water's
surface tension, and tend to wash away. We would pour the beads into a
macro-porous bottomed Buchner funnel, and run multiple washes through the
apparatus, stirring with a glass rod.  Water dribbling through the beaker
or a baking dish might work also.

- Spread beads out on a baking dish and dry in an oven.
- Autoclave to sterilize

Mike

YEAST e-mail: messages sent to yeast at net.bio.net