Multinucleated phenotypes.. causes?

biosci-request at net.bio.net biosci-request at net.bio.net
Thu Jun 10 06:33:32 EST 1999

I have found a few more papers that suggest that you can also have
Rho-D which when overexpressed causes multinucleation and a novel kinase

Sak-alpha which does the same thing.  Again they all seem to be involved
in regulating either contractile ring formation (former) or microtubule
formation (later... but a guess by the authors).  NuMa's role in
multinucleation is more complex, I have found a half a dozen papers and
they all show in different ways how NuMa can create abnormal
cytokinesis.  It is probably linked to the ability of NuMa to stabilize
microtubules and therefore the mitotic spindle.  Also some mutations in
NuMa may affect its ability to form polymer-like  networks in the
interphase cell which disrupts nuclear organization.  This hypothesis
fits well with the finding that NuMa is a nuclear matrix component.

I get not just a few nuclei in one cell but at times several dozen all
with discernible nucleoli.  I also get segregation of dark dapi staining
chromatin to micronuclei which I assume is heterochromatin.

Graham Dellaire
--
********************
Graham Dellaire, Ph.D.