kanMX system

Bernard P. Murray, PhD bpmurray*STUFFER* at socrates.cgl.ucsf.EDU
Tue Apr 20 18:55:29 EST 1999

In article <7ffjvt$ms0 at net.bio.net>, tjandra at darwin.ucsc.edu (Tjandra) wrote:

> Hi Everybody:
>
> I am wondering if there is anybody out there who has a good protocol for
> selecting kanamycin-MX transformants.  I am trying to epitope-tag my
> favorite ORF with 3xHA or myc using one of the Longtine vectors, and I
> don't see a high rate of transformants on my geniticin selective plates.
> Is there a 'trick' with transformation protocol using the KanMX system?
>
> Many thanks for any info or hints.
>
> Hendri
> tjandra at darwin.ucsc.edu

Have you looked at some of the original references?
I've been handling strains with kanMX modules using
the protocols in Wach et al. (1994) Yeast, 10:1793-1808

The only "tricks" are;
1) Use G418 (eg. 200 mg/l) in rich (YeP) medium not S.

2) Select transformants either by adding an overlay
of G418 to unselected transformants after 24 h on a plate or
by growing the transformation mix in liquid culture
for a few hours (eg. 4 - 5) in the absence of G418 and
then spreading on a plate containing G418.

     I hope that this helps,
          Bernard
--
Bernard P. Murray, PhD