Bead mill/RNA extraction

Chris Doering cdoerin at emory.edu
Tue May 19 11:58:44 EST 1998

Natasha.Jordan at med.monash.edu.au wrote:

> Hello -
>
> I need to extract RNA from S. cerevisiae. Does anyone have a protocol to
> do this? If glass beads and a bead mill are used, where can these be
> purchased?
>
> Thanks,
> Natasha

Take a look at Current Protocols in Molecular Biology (13.12.1 -
13.12.5).

Two procedures are given, one using a hot acid phenol extraction, which
I have used with great results. The only modification I use it to
resuspend the final RNA pellet in TE buffer + 0.1% SDS, to keep any
remaining RNAses at bay. The second procedure uses glass beads and a
standard vortex. Glass beads can be purchased through Sigma Chemicals,
but should be acid washed before use.

Good luck.

Brett Burkholder
Dean Danner Lab