S POMBE GENOME PROJECT

Valerie Wood val at sanger.ac.uk
Fri Aug 14 10:13:33 EST 1998

THE S POMBE GENOME PROJECT

                          WEB SITE UPDATE

The S. pombe Genome Project web site at the Sanger Centre has been
updated.

PomPep, a non-redundant protein database is now available to search by
gene name or blast search. It contains 2854 entries and is updated
weekly.

This protein data set been subjected to analysis by Pedant at MIPS. This
is also accessible from our web site, and provides an exhaustive
functional and structural classification. Classification is based on
similarity searches, and comparisons against the curated master gene
sets with manually assigned functional classes from bacteria and yeast.

This analysis has just been updated with the data-set forom the 14th
July (2736 entries) and sequences are now referenced by gene name rather
than database identifier.

Any links to the chromosome I II and III sequence data will require
updating.

                        SEQUENCING PROGRESS

Of the total ~12.5 Mb which will be sequenced,
approximately 8.1 Mb is finished, of which 6.2 Mb has been fully
annotated and submitted to EMBL, a further 2Mb is in sequencing
progress.
Valerie Wood		       Tel: 01223 494954
S. Pombe Genome Project	       Fax: 01223 494919
Yeast Genetics 		       http://www.sanger.ac.uk/Projects/S_pombe
The Sanger Centre              email: val at sanger.ac.uk
Wellcome Trust Genome Campus
Hinxton                        Preliminary Functional Classification:
Cambridge                      http://www.sanger.ac.uk/Users/val/
CB10 1SA