pombe questions

Fred Kippert fkippert at srv0.bio.ed.ac.uk
Tue Oct 21 10:28:27 EST 1997

Steve  Ingram <ingram at uthscsa.edu> wrote:

> Two questions:
> 1. Does anyone know if the luciferase gene has been or can be used
> as a reporter in pombe? 2. What is the best source of the CAT gene
> to use as a reporter (by best I mean flanked by restriction sites
> useful for cloning)?

I am using firefly luciferase as a reporter for circadian rhythms.
With the wild type gene, there a a couple of restrictions (such as
stability of the protein, sensitivity of enzyme activity towards
changes in the cytoplasmic environment. I have made constructs that
largely overcome these problems, which would be available in a couple
of weeks if you are interested. Bacterial luciferase is useless in
both pombe and cerevisiae.

No idea about CAT.

Fred Kippert
_____________________________________

Fred Kippert
Yeast Chronobiology Lab
Institute of Cell, Animal and Population Biology
University of Edinburgh
West Mains Road
Edinburgh EH9 3JT
Scotland, UK