16S/18S Binding Sites?

David Singleton dsingle at uga.cc.uga.edu
Mon Oct 20 22:49:48 EST 1997

   I am a graduate student in Microbiology using extracted _S. cerevisae_
DNA as part of a series of standard controls in dot-blot hybridizations,
and have one (seemingly trivial) question.

  One of the oligo probes which I am using is described as "Universal",
and it does indeed bind to yeast genomic DNA (as well as mitochondrial,
I assume). In the literature the probe's specificity is for the 16S
rRNA coding region (E. coli numbering).  I am assuming that this
particular sequence is identical to a similar region in the 18S rRNA
region of yeast...(?)

   In any case, does anyone know how many binding sites in a single yeast
genome (approximately) would bind this probe assuming that it binds rRNA?
...or perhaps where I could discover this information?

   Thanks in advance.

   David Singleton
	  University of Georgia - Microbiology
	  dsingle at uga.cc.uga.edu