new member.

ron lahav roni at LAHAVNET.CO.IL
Wed Oct 8 11:37:41 EST 1997

Dear members of "yeast" I would like to introduce myself:
I am a Ph.D. student in Environmental Microbiology doing my research in the
isolation, characterization and biodegradative properties of species of
microorganisms isolated from an industrial park waste site.
I would like to apologize in advance for some ignorance in Yeast
manipulations, since my background has always been microbiolgy/bacteriology.
Now to the point:
A few questions.
1) Has anyone used sonication for the dissruption of yeast cells in order to
extract total    protein for SDS-PAGE analysis? If so, where can I locate an
appropriate protocol?
2) I noticed that some of my strains have a tendency to clump and form
"christmas bush"-like    formations when grown in high salt conditions, a
fact which in my opinion would hamper any    attempts to measure growth by
spectophotometric analysis. If anyone can tell me that I am    speaking
rubbish, then it would make my life easier. If in fact I am correct and use
of    spectophotometric analysis at OD660 is inacurate, I would appreciate
tips on how to do the    mundane task of making a growth curve at different
salt concentrations. I realize of course    that one can count cells in a
haematocytometer, but then the clumps and morphological changes    at high
salt make it rather impossible to count at high salt. There is the total
protein    BioRad method to  correlate growth with total protein, but I am
looking for a simple method to    make life easier for  me!
3) Can anyone point out where I can get S. cerevisiae strains that are salt
sensitive?
4) Is it rare for yeast cells to be able to grow at salt concentrations of
25%-30% and over a    range of pH from 2-8? All references are gladly welcomed!
Thanks and that's all for now,
Ron Lahav
Jacob Blaustein Institute of Desert Research
Environmental Microbiology dept.
Sde Boker Campus
Ben Gurion University of the Negev.
Israel