minor problem preparing plates

mlussier at monod.biol.mcgill.ca mlussier at monod.biol.mcgill.ca
Tue Jun 17 12:03:22 EST 1997

Hi Mike Stockelman,

I dont know what you do wrong, but let me introduce you to my way of
making YPD plates.  Before autoclaving the YPD/agar w/o glucose, I make
sure that there is a stirrer bar in the bottle and I shake immediatly
before autoclaving the medium to avoid clumps in the medium.  After
autoclaving, I add 20ml of 50% glucose to my 500ml of YPD/agar and let the
liquid cool down by maintaining agitation on a stirrer plate.  When the
liquid is 60 C, I poor the plates (~ 25 ml per plate) and let the gel
solidify for about an hour.  After that, I flip flop the plates and let
these stand on my bench all the night, sometime for 2 days.  I store them
in that same position in a plastic bag at 4 C.

Hope this helps

Steeve V.

PS: Sorry for my english, I am a francophone...